Thursday, September 29, 2005

Part 5C: My Katrina devastation pictures continue...

Using Mark's press pass, we slipped through the Orleans Parish Checkpoint Wednesday to inspect the remains of our house. Here is what we found:

My computer monitor, router, power cords, etc., on the floor of the guest room/computer room.












This desk is part of a set of desks that belonged to my father and his siblings.













This is the cedar chest Mark's uncle Steve built for us as a wedding present. It was in the corner, parallel to the window.











Inside the chest, we kept our costume pieces and favorite T-shirts we no longer wore, but were keeping for nostalgia purposes. There was a brass plaque inside that I was trying to remove, but the stench was so awful I couldn't keep it open for longer than 20 seconds. I gave up.








This is the dresser that went to my baby furniture when I was little. It's on its back on top of my old daybed in the guest room.












The guest room/my office again. Don't know where the paper plate that attached itself to the day bed came from. Furniture is everywhere. That bookshelf held Anne Of Green Gables, copyright 1980, Harry Potter, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and our Calvin and Hobbes books.







The bookshelf containing our VHS tapes lost its shelves.












This was the greatest picture ever. The Dahli-esque blob on the left is my brother-in-law, Phil, and the one on the right is my brother, Geoff. Taken at Voodoo Fest a few years ago. Calie spiked their hair with free Matrix hair product samples we got at an expo tent.


It's also the only copy in existence.





My bathroom sink. That bra may or may not have been black before. Dunno.












These clothes had been handwashed and were hanging on the shower curtain rod to drip dry before we left. They stayed on the hangers. I hate wire hangers. I only use them to drip dry stuff. They rusted my clothes. Not that I could have ever gotten them clean from the canal/lake water/mold/mildew anyway.







My toilet. The bathroom was mint green fixtures and trim on dusty rose tiles. I hated that bathroom. I almost miss it more than anything now.










My bathtub. A shampoo bottle burst/leaked, leaving the white gunk. The pink flower holder was on the wall above the toilet. My mom's friend made it for us as a wedding gift. The peroxide bottle is from the cabinet.









The cabinet, with shelving paper hanging out of it.


















The towels on the towel rack stayed where we left them.


The shower cutrain was a white gauzy material with white and purple orchids on it.














Mark's bookshelf, with books and He-Man figures.


That board is his closet door.















My side of the computer room. Contained all of my beautiful books and my Simpsons action figures. That big white thing in the foreground is the printer.
















The linen closet. None of those towels were green before the mold set in. That purple thing was my bridesmaid's dress from Alicia's wedding.
















The den. The picture frame is almost apart. That lamp has a cat bed that floated on top of it. Landed perfectly on top.











My black-and-white photographs of the city that I took two winters ago were on this wall. Two remain, none are worth keeping. Thank God for Ofoto.

No comments: